Often referred to as an uncontested divorce, amicable divorces are those that involve few disputes between spouses. While this might seem like an unattainable standard, We help couples in New Mexico navigate divorce proceedings on their own when they’re in agreement regarding issues like child custody and asset division.
Benefits of an Amicable Divorce
Amicable divorces are associated with many important benefits:
- Uncontested divorces are often lower in cost
- The process is less stressful, which is crucial when kids are involved
- Couples face fewer disputes when it comes to parenting or financial issues
- Many people view it as a more dignified end to the marriage
- Uncontested divorces typically take less time to resolve
- Couples can represent themselves in court
Of course, some divorces require more attention. This is usually the case when there are accusations of infidelity or when a couple has a history with abuse and neglect. If so, you might want to consult with a divorce attorney.
Understanding Your Legal Options
If you wish the dissolution of your marriage to proceed amicably, there are a few different options at your disposal:
- Mediation – Mediation allows both parties to hash out the details of their divorce in an informal setting. A professional mediator will be present during sessions to clarify legal issues and keep the discussion on track.
- Collaborative Divorce – Collaborative divorces involve the use of negotiation so that spouses can come to terms on issues surrounding the divorce. Mediation often plays a role in this process, along with other types of negotiation.
- Facilitation – While similar to mediation, facilitation allows spouses to remain apart during the negotiations. A qualified mediator will meet with each party separately and convey messages during the process.
We Can Help With Pro Se Divorce
New Mexico allows married couples to pursue divorce without legal counsel. This is known as pro se divorce, and many couples who are attempting to split amicably choose to proceed on their own.
We are here to assist you on your journey by providing access to the proper forms and information necessary to file for divorce. We’ll guide you through the process step-by-step, and also offer optional consultations if you run into any issues or can’t resolve some aspect of your divorce.