You’ve Been Served

Once served, you have 30 days to file a written Response to the Petitioner. Most commonly you should retain counsel very quickly after being served with divorce papers. If you fail to file a formal Response, the Petitioner may request that the Court enter a “default judgment.” In default cases, proof is presented to the Judge showing that you, the Respondent was aware of the Petition and failed to answer. The Judge will then divide the marital property equitably and the divorce will be granted. Your best option is to contact us or request to retain counsel by calling us at 505.221.5759 or emailing

This post is also available in: Spanish